You are invited to take part in one of Wellington’s biggest fashion events and add to the colour and celebration that is Wallaceville Estate Wellington Cup Day.
Wellington Racing Clubs annual fashion competition -The Gazley VW Fashion in the Field proudly supported by BCD Events -is set to race on Saturday 23 January 2016.
If you have a passion for fashion, a love of racing, a beautiful outfit that you want to proudly display or you are a sewing wizard, then let Fashion in the Field be the catwalk to show off your style. Fashion in the Field is all about making sure you have fun while embracing the tradition that is race day fashion.
Register online today!
- Entry into the competition is free
- Anyone can enter their appropriate category
- All entrants must be 18 years or over
- Complete the entry form below
- Terms and conditions apply to be eligible for some prize categories *
The Major Prizes
Gazley VW Fashion in the Field 2016 Wellington Region Winner*
A year of driving in style in a new Volkswagen Polo GTI in flashy red (RRP of the car is $36 980)
Gazley VW & Westfield Queensgate Fashion in the Field 2016 -Supreme Runner Up
$1000 worth of shopping vouchers courtesy of Westfield Queensgate
Gazley VW & BCD Travel Fashion in the Field 2016 -Supreme Winner
- A trip for two to the Victoria Racing Club Crown Oaks race day including flights to Melbourne, Accommodation for three night and $500 spending money
- Entry in to the Prix de Fashion Finals at Ellerslie including flights and accommodation.
Category & Prize information
Classic Lady of the Carnival
- This category typically records the highest number of entries. Women’s classic race wear highlights a more traditional sense of fashion in this highly contested category. Headwear is a must.
- A prize to the value of $1000 for the best Wellington region Classic Lady*
- A prize to the value of $1000 for the best non-Wellington region Classic Lady
Westfield Queensgate Best Dressed Under 25 Woman of the Carnival
- Traditional race wear or cocktail-style dresses will be required in this category where the Under 25’s are set to shine.
- $1000 Westfield Voucher for the best Wellington region Under 25 Winner*
- $1000 Westfield Voucher for the best non-Wellington region Under 25 Winner
Best Dressed Mature Woman of the Carnival
- This category provides the mature woman an opportunity to showcase their race day attire. Entrants in this category are required to be aged 50 or over.
- A prize to the value of $1000 for the Best dressed Wellington region Mature Woman
- A prize to the value of $1000 for the Best Dressed non-Wellington region Mature Woman
Best Dressed Man of the Carnival
- The menswear category has taken off over recent years with unprecedented entrant numbers. It is now commonplace for men to complete their outfits with accessories such as hats, gloves and canes.
- A prize to the value of $1000 for the Best dressed Wellington region Man*
- A prize to the value of $1000 for the Best dressed non-Wellington region Man
The competition format
- The competition covers four distinct categories:
- Classic Lady of the Carnival (Classic race wear)
- Best Dressed Under 25 Woman of the Carnival
- Best Dressed Mature Woman of the Carnival
- Best Dressed Man of the Carnival
- Two finalists will be chosen from each of the four categories. One “Wellington region” based and one “non-Wellington region” based. If there are no entrants from “Wellington” or “non-Wellington” regions, then only one finalist will be chosen for the category.*
- All finalists will be required to participate in the Finalists Parade. The following will then be announced:
- Gazley VW Fashion in the Field 2016 Wellington Region Winner
(Must normally reside in the recognised “Wellington region”)*. This winner may also be eligible for one of the either the Runner-up or the Supreme award.
- Gazley VW & Westfield Queensgate Fashion in the Field 2016 -Supreme Runner Up
- Supreme Winner 2016 Gazley VW Fashion in the Field -supported by BCD Events
What the Fashion Judges are looking for in 2016.
Racing sits in its own distinct sphere in the realm of fashion. It’s sophisticated, elegant and most importantly, it is daywear. Successful outfits, in the judge’s eyes, must be more appropriate to a day at the races than a night on the town!
A hat, fascinator and accessories are essential components for ladies and the outfit must be appropriate for Cup Day, the category and the individual.
Style and originality
Originality and uniqueness are important, along with understanding and interpreting current fashion trends. Certainly not all fashion trends can be translated into style-worthy racewear, but outfits that reflect suitable aspects of the season’s latest styles and colour will give a modern edge. Remember, style is what suits you and don’t be afraid to dress with attitude and flair!
It is essential that consideration is given to the complete coordination of the outfit. This includes jewellery, hat, shoes, hosiery, bag and make-up – complete styling from head to toe.
Polish and poise definitely come into the equation. This includes grooming, grace and deportment.
Attention to detail
It’s the little things that count – ensure that stocking seams are matched, heels are perfect and hair is in place.
- On-line registration close 5pm Friday 22nd January
Late registration opens at 11.00am on Cup Day (Located at the entrance to the fashion verandah)
- Registrations close at 12.00 noon on Cup Day
- Heats will commence at approximately 12.30pm with confirmation of timings available on race week
Conditions of entry
Entrants must fulfil the following criteria and acknowledge that they understand and agree to abide by the criteria as they register in order to be granted entry into Fashion in the Field.
1. Entrants must be 18 years of age or more.
2. Entrants and / or their outfits are not permitted to have any commercial agenda in entering the competition.
3. Entrants must not receive any compensation from a third party for entering this competition.
4. The Supreme Winner will be available for entry to the National final held at Ellerslie Racecourse in March.
5. Entrants will be permitted to enter one category only.
6. All entrants must provide a detailed summary of their outfit on parade
7. Winner of a category in 2015 may not enter that same category in 2016
8. Entrants must fill out an entry form prior to the start of the competition to be a valid entry. No late entries will be accepted. Failure to provide accurate and correct details may result in disqualification from the competition.
9. Judges decision is final
10. For the purposes of this competition and to be eligible for the car package, contestants must reside in the “Wellington Region” > This requires your residential address to be located in Paraparaumu or South on the West Coast of the North Island, or South of Pahiatua in the Wairarapa. A map of eligible areas is available here. Entrants for the car prize must also have a valid drivers licence and insurance eligibility acceptable to Gazley VW. This winner may also be eligible for one of the either the Runner-up or the Supreme award.
11. In the event there are no “Wellington region”or “non-Wellington region” entrants in any category, the judges reserve the right to promote only one finalist from the category.
12. Flights to the Ellerslie (Auckland) event are based on a Wellington contestant. A winning contestant from other locations should contact the Wellington Racing Club organisers to discuss. Flights for this event will be not be provided for any Auckland based contestants. International flights to Melbourne are limited to direct services only from either Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch. All travel documents such as valid passports etc are the responsibility of the contestant. Any alterations to flights once ticketed will be at the contestants cost.
To Register your Interest in participating in the 2016 Gazley VW Fashion in the Field please register below or call on 04 528 9611
Online Reigstrations Closed, register on the day between 11.30-12.15 at the tent as you enter the Racecourse.